Cal-a-Vie Health Spa
Summer Story Board
Beauty, Nutrition and Fitness Ways to Beat the Heat
We are pleased to introduce our very first 2016 Chȃteau Cal-a-Vie Sauvignon Blanc, the fifth varietal offered in our Chȃteau Cal-a-Vie collection of estate grown wines.
In 2007, proprietors Terri and John Havens converted 12 of Cal-a-Vie’s then 440 acres into a small vineyard of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot grapes. The vineyard produced its first harvest in 2011, which yielded Cal-a-Vie’s Château Cal-a-Vie Grande Vin Rouge, as well as the spa’s elegant Vinothérapie product line, sourced from the harvest’s antioxidant-rich leftover grape skin and seed.
Characteristics of 2016 Chȃteau Cal-a-Vie Sauvignon Blanc:
Picked at its aromatic ripeness having notes of white peach, gooseberry and a hint of jalapeno, the wine is aged in barrel on lees for a full savory multilayered mouthfeel. The Havens’ Family Estate, Chateau Cal-a-Vie Sauvignon Blanc epitomizes the convergence of old world Sur Lies elegance and a delicate modern balance.
*For a full list of our wines for purchase please visit: https://boutique.calavie.com/collections/wine
Summertime means fresh fruit and Chef Curtis has a flavorful salad that will not only please and impress, but goes perfectly with crisp, cool Sauvignon Blanc.
Peach Salad. Arugula. Pecan. Goat Cheese. White Balsamic Vinaigrette
6 cups arugula
2 each fennel bulbs, sliced thin
1cup pecans, toasted
½ cup goat cheese, crumbled
½ cup white balsamic vinaigrette
¼ maple gastrique
6 each peaches, quartered, grilled
In a large bowl, toss the arugula and fennel with the vinaigrette. Divide the arugula between 6 bowls and top with the rest of the ingredients. Drizzle the maple gastrique over each peach quarter.
6 each peaches, quartered, pit removed
2 teaspoons sea salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
Pre heat grill to medium-high heat. Toss the quartered peaches with the olive oil and salt. Place peaches on the grill. Leave approximately 2 to 3 minutes to achieve grill marks. Remove from grill and cool.
1 cup maple syrup
½ cup sherry vinegar
1 each vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
In a small sauce pan, combine all of the ingredients and place over medium heat. Reduce the maple mixture until it coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
White Balsamic Vinaigrette:
1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
3/4 cups grapeseed oil
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoons sea salt
In a bowl, whisk all of the ingredients together to full incorporate them.
1. Use Sunscreen every day even if it is cloudy, Applying at least one ounce of sunscreen (enough to fill a shot glass) at least 15 to 30 minutes before going outside. Also, use a lip balm or lipstick that contains sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30.
2. Be extra careful around water and sand. These surfaces reflect the damaging rays of the sun, which can increase your chance of getting a sunburn.
3. Limit the amount of time you’re in the sun between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM. This is when the sun's rays are the most intense. Practice the shadow rule: if your shadow is shorter than you, the sun's rays are at their strongest, and you should find shade.
4. If possible, wear a long-sleeved shirt and long pants. Dark clothing with tightly woven fabric blocks more sun than white or loosely woven fabrics. For additional protection, look for clothes made with special sun-protective materials.
5. Accessorize with a hat that shades your face, neck, and ears and a pair of sunglasses. Sunglasses with lenses that have 99% to 100% UV absorption provide optimal protection for the eyes and the surrounding skin.
Fitness News….Water it Where It’s At This Summer…
Chill out your fitness routine with our Stand-Up Paddle Board classes aimed to help guests float into their fitness goals. The new outdoor offerings allow guests to find a balance between working out while beating the heat and enjoying the natural beauty of the grounds surrounding Cal-a-Vie.
To cool down after a morning hike, guests can soak into shape with the new Stand-Up Paddle Board classes in the spa’s Olympic-sized swimming pool, including Board Body Camp and Nautical Flow. In addition to staying cool, these aquatic exercises offer guests low impact workouts with even resistance through a full range of motion.
Nutrition Must– Hydration for Your Health….
Do you drink enough water throughout the day? Here are the top health benefits of staying hydrated that you don’t want to miss out on!
1. Energy: Dehydration is the number one cause of daytime sleepiness. Water is a major component of your blood so if you’re not drinking enough water, you may end up with low blood pressure and fatigue.
2. Appetite: The hypothalamus controls both signals for hunger and thirst. If you’re dehydrated, you might be getting the wrong signal that you’re hungry all the time when you really just needed water.
3. Skin Health: Your skin is a supple organ that needs plenty of fluids. Dehydration can accentuate wrinkles and lines.
4. GI Health: Water helps to keep you “moving”. Drink water to help absorb your nutrients and ward off constipation.
5. Boost your metabolism: One study found that drinking water increased the metabolism by 30% for 40 minutes after drinking 500mL of water. Drinking 2L of water could increase your metabolic rate by 400 calories per day!
6. Optimizing Your Health: All of your body parts need water! From your brain, heart, digestive tract, liver, skin, joints… the list goes on! Stay hydrated to keep everything functioning properly.
Let’s Meet! -Please join us in welcoming Jeri Smith our new Group Sales Manager.
Jeri’s esteemed career includes more than 14 years in the hospitality industry including experience with event logistics, contract negotiations, hotel sales, housing and registration, budgeting and corporate meeting management.
In her new role here at Cal-a-Vie, Jerri will be responsible for showcasing the spa’s 500 acres, 12,500 square feet of event space, 32 suites and tailored programming as an ideal space for corporate retreats, incentive programs and social gatherings.