Front wood door with flowers

HISTORY

Creating a Haven
of Health

Terri and John Havens fell in love with Cal-a-Vie Health Spa on their first visit in 1998. John was running marathons in different cities throughout the country to keep his mind engaged. Knowing the restorative benefits that a spa retreat can bring, Terri encouraged them to rest and recharge together at destination spas before returning to their home city of New Orleans. They immediately recognized there was something uniquely special about Cal-a-Vie. John and Terri were enchanted with the spa’s intimate size, classes, and romantic Southern California location. John began negotiations to purchase the spa resort after experiencing the value self-care and personal wellness can bring. They became owners of Cal-a-Vie Health Spa on July 1st, 2000 and began crafting their vision for its future together. Since that time, the admitted Francophiles have transformed the 200-acre property into a country French-styled paradise, winning top awards from Conde Nast and Travel + Leisure year after year under their leadership. They now reside in Houston, Texas and continue to transform the spa into the idyll it is today. Throughout their 22 years as owners, the Havens have remained focused on their passions to offer guests a tranquil haven filled with beauty and life-changing wellness experiences through Cal-a-Vie Health Spa. 

History with Terry and John

Authentic French Architecture

The Chapel,
Circa 1615

The Chapel and Meditation Center was originally the Chapel at the Convent of the Carmelites in Dijon, France. The convent was situated on a large plot of land on Boulevard Carnot in the center of Dijon and was constructed over several centuries; beginning in the 16th century and continuing through the French Revolution in 1789. The entire Convent was demolished in 1978, with the exception of a few historically significant buildings. The Chapel was one of the earliest additions to the Convent, and its original construction was completed in 1615. John and Terri Havens purchased the Chapel in 2004. Each stone was meticulously labeled and numbered for shipment to Cal-a-Vie from France, where the Chapel was carefully reconstructed for use as Cal-a-Vie's Meditation Center. In celebration of John Havens' 50th birthday, the Chapel was officially opened on April 3, 2006.

Chapel

The L’Orangerie, Circa 1710

The Havens purchased the L'Orangerie from the Convent of the Carmelites in Dijon, France, to complement the 17-century French Chapel that was originally from the same location. The 400-year-old limestone greenhouse has history extending from 1710 when it was originally built as a greenhouse for orange trees during the cold months. Later, the building was adapted to become a dining hall for the religious community and place for social gatherings. Keeping in harmony as a social venue, the L'Orangerie at Cal-a-Vie Health Spa, with its breathtaking design and detailing, will welcome celebrations for years to come. 

l'orangerie

The Parish House, Circa 1715

The Parish House was originally built circa 1715 in a small town located about 30 miles from the center of Dijon, France, in the heart of the Burgundy country. The Parish House was built as the priest's residence, adjacent to the Parish Church. The building was shipped from France by the Havens and reconstructed on the current site surrounded by the fabulous panoramic vistas of Cal-a-Vie. Reconstruction was complete in June 2018, and the Presbytere was opened for guests to enjoy the distinctive estate wines of Chateau Cal-a-Vie.

parish house